Friday, April 1, 2016

American Culture to Chinese Students

An American response to American culture to a Chinese pen-pal:

"When I first heard I was going to be watching "Wife Swap" in my writing class, my immediate reaction was a groan. Most shows like that in America are only good for mild entertainment. Families like mine watch those and think "I'm glad that isn't us!" It's all very dramatic and exploitative, but there are small amounts of value in what happens in the end. "What Would You Do" is a way better example of the American people in my eyes. They show the good and the bad along with the unexpected. The gay adoption video must have been such a unique experience for you and I'm curious at what your reactions might have been. I'm aware that in China, marriage between a man and a woman is the only thing allowed. Just last year the American government announced that it was legal for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people to marry whatever gender they want. This had been a very long battle for the gay community and the news brought me to tears I was so happy. Gay and lesbian people still face many extreme, hate filled reactions on a regular basis but we are making progress. I've actually faced some of these issues myself and sometimes everything seems really scary even though I know there are always people who love me. Around here, even having your hair too short as a girl can get some mean glances. My personal struggle has been trying to do what's best for me and not caring about what my family has to say. Deep in my heart I know that they don't care and that they'll always love me, but I really just don't know what I want right now. Being a teenager in America is really strange because everyone has so many options available to them, but sometimes no matter what you pick, there will always be someone who has some kind of an issue with it.
On a more positive note: tne really good thing about my country is the support the outcast groups of people receive from others who think they don't belong. If one thinks they are all alone in liking something, there is usually a group of people who will gladly enjoy it as much as they do. Even among the crazy politics and differences we always find kinship and unity."

1 comment:

  1. Truth: "Being a teenager in America is really strange because everyone has so many options available to them, but sometimes no matter what you pick, there will always be someone who has some kind of an issue with it."

    ReplyDelete