Monday, April 18, 2016

Photos of the Millennium


I have tallies for every photo in the collection relating to warfare and violence and they exceed 30. There will always be war so long as mankind continues to have differences, but I'm reaching a point where I just yearn for peace from all sides. Private wars are waged inside my head most days, and seeing so much exterior worldly turmoil makes it difficult to find peace. I've been learning to balance. I was beyond happy to see the pleasant, benevolence of humanity in most of the photos, but as soon as I realized the primary common thread of many I felt a sinking in my chest. I have to wonder if the current state of affairs has worsened since the site was last updated, or if it's always been this hectic. Every week it's another public shooting, there are fresh victims of hate crimes, terrorist attacks, and new additions to the list of deaths in the name of police brutality. There are even forms of organized hatred sprouting in legislatures across the country. It's this group of people against that group over seemingly fickle reasons and it's shrouded in a shadowy cloak of misunderstanding. Amidst all this frenzied turbulence, one must remain rooted in nothing but good intention and love for the living things we share the Earth with. I want to hate corrupt leaders and see them get what they ultimately deserve, but a small voice inside of me always asks where they went wrong. "What if they thought they had good intentions?" The stitching on the black and white morality become frayed and come apart. It is a blessing to be able to see both sides of a situation, but it is a curse sometimes to be unable to pick a side for yourself. There will always be a, "but wait...", "hang on a second..." or the famous, "what if..." to everything that continues to happen. It's the morality kaleidoscope.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the prevalence of war/violence images myself...and I know what you mean about the discomfort of the gray area I often find myself in.

    ReplyDelete