Thursday, April 14, 2016

MSU Student Visit Reaction

I met Helen and Tiffany, both very lovely lively people. Both of them liked the movie Zootopia and enjoyed the open sky and the weather in Springfield. Helen has a dog named Blackbean, and Tiffany has a boyfriend named D.J. They really seemed to pay attention to how hospitable Americans have been to them, and that really didn't surprise me. Many people are just curious when they meet people from places that are so far away, usually when they're mean it's on accident or they just don't realize it. I told the girls that my favorite color is green and that I feel like a cloud most of the time because I float around and change constantly. Neither of them have ever been to Hurt's before, which honestly surprised me. A lot of college kids show up at the downtown location. I also told them that I like drinking coffee all the time and that the t.v. show Hannibal has my attention right now. 
As Dakoda and I showed them around the school, they mostly looked around with big, curious eyes. I had to wonder if there had ever been an equivalent experience of pure wonder in my catalog of memories. They got to see the new commons area, the theater, the lunch line, Mrs. Dunn, Mrs. Nance, Mrs. Stephen's rooms, and both of the gyms. I was so fun to find the common ground we could communicate on. Their reaction to certain slang terms with a little tilt of the head got my attention the most. I've been so used to these words all my life, I never actually thought about how they might sound to someone who hasn't grown up in the same culture. I would have loved to show them Blackburn and Declue's room along with the work that they do in there. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that the students displayed a wonder you might not have seen before. I'm sure it made you see this place you might have gotten used to in a new light.

    ReplyDelete